Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Recent Changes to Metadata Practices in New York Heritage
The newest version of the Metadata Dictionary and Usage Guide is Version 5, which was published in January 2019. All of the changes listed below are reflected in this latest version.
- HTML tages should not be used in any metadata field. CDLC institutions mainly used <br> tags for hard returns. These are no longer supported. Please separate information in fields with semi-colons.
- Hidden Date field - No longer use "9999" for an unknown date. Information in this field shows up in the Date facet on the web site, and "9999" is confusing to users. Leave blank if unknown. Continue to put "unknown" in the Date of Original field.
- Time Period - We are no longer using this field.
- New York Heritage Topic - This field is no longer used at the item level. It is only used at the collection level. You can submit up to three New York Heritage Topics for each collection to the CDLC Digitization Manager.
- Holding Institution - See entry for this field for an example on how to indicate a private collection when owners have approved listing their names in the metadata.
- Digital Collection - This field is now required for upload of new items. All items should have this field properly filled out so they can be co-located with other items in the collection.
- Rights - This field is required for items to upload. Text should be exactly as outlined in the Metadata Dictionary. Information about how to cite the material can now go in the Citation Information field.
- Copyright Expiration Date - This is an optional, hidden field. It can be used when you know the date the copyright will expire on an item. This will make it easier to find the items and change the Rights field when a new rights statement applies.
Metadata Dictionary and Usage Guide
Metadata Guide Appendix F for CDLC Participants
Metadata Worksheet Examples
© 2020 cdlc.org | Capital District Library Council
28 Essex Street | Albany | New York 12206