Skip to main content
Searching and Critical Appraisal of the Literature for Systematic Review
Shannon Potter of Vanderbilt University
- Develop a better understanding of the steps of a systematic review process
- Understand techniques for developing and testing a literature search to support systematic review work
- Gain exposure to other aspects of the systematic review process, including inclusion/exclusion decisions, quality assessment, and writing
- Gain awareness of opportunities for librarians interested in collaborating in the design and execution of systematic review projects
- Identify resources for additional professional development in this area.
Instructor's Bio:I am a project manager at the Vanderbilt Evidence-based Practice Center, primarily responsible for facilitating systematic reviews of medical and behavioral interventions. In my role, I am involved in the design and conduct of the review, as well as the retrieval and review of published and grey-sources of literature. With the assistance of staff scientists and analysts, I manage several steps of data extraction, appraisal, and synthesis of the findings to generate an evidence-based summary of primary literature for dissemination among stakeholders, funders, policy-makers, and healthcare providers. I previously worked as a protocol analyst to improve compliance of human subjects’ research proposals and ensure proper informed consent procedures for research participants. As a health sciences librarian, I conducted individual and group training sessions on navigating the medical literature and participated in various knowledge management projects. I enjoy all aspects of my current and prior experience and am happy to have the opportunity to offer in-depth and focused training on searching and critical appraisal of the literature for development of systematic reviews.
Free for CDLC Member Library Staff/ $50 for all others.
Registration is required by Monday, June 22nd.
Due to a limited number of seats, if you register and are unable to attend, please contact Christopher Tosh at email@example.com.
© 2019 cdlc.org | Capital District Library Council
28 Essex Street | Albany | New York 12206